- A business and community-led Safe Streets For All (SS4A) initiative aimed at changing road behavior and culture by setting mutually agreeable standards and expectations and promoting their practice to encourage individual and communal road safety accountability.
- A Western Piedmont Council on Government (WPCOG)-led effort to draft a Comprehensive Highway Safety Plan through North Carolina Dept. of Transportation (NCDOT).
- “Highway” here means all forms of motorized and non-motorized road transportation.
- That plan will address traffic safety concerns in all four WPCOG supported counties: Catawba, Caldwell, Burke and Alexander.
- NCDOT is now vetting consultants to draft that plan with local community input.
- Once we have a consultant in place, we will ask that consultant to build a website to link to the QR code in the SS4A logo above.
- “Take the Lane” illustrates the point that NC state law and policy encourage drivers to take an entire lane, even across a double yellow line into an open oncoming traffic lane, when passing cyclists to make that pass as safe as possible both for the cyclists and drivers.
- “We’re All in This Together” shows why it is necessary to watch attentively for pedestrians to clear crosswalks completely before stopped drivers and cyclists at a red stop light in opposing traffic start to move when that same traffic light turns green in their favor.
Changing behavior and culture are the highest bars we as humans can ever strive to rise to and clear, but that is exactly what we need to do to make roads safer for all, and the active examples you see above are just the start.
More soon about progress!